Thursday, September 11, 2014

Wicked Witch of Resource

There was a Special Ed teacher I worked with... Patty Martens! She was a great lady and always made me laugh! She passed away last Friday afternoon after school. She had a condition called Pulmonary hypertension. Scary scary health problem. She had a complication last Tuesday where she passed out, and I had the privelage of helping her through that. I only knew her for two weeks but I felt pretty close to her, especially that last week! In the two weeks I knew her I can tell you 3 things about her! 


1. She loved WITCHES! She loved Halloween! Her classroom is decorated in Halloween colors, decor, etc... Year round... She told her students she was "the wicked Witch of resource!" She told them a rule in the classroom was "NO HAPPINESS" (which never happened, she always put a smile on the students face!) She has a cauldron full of candy for her students ( and paras ;) ). She also told the students she had flying monkeys and she was not afraid to use them!!! 

2. She loved her students!!! I loved listening to her teach and see and feel her love and compassion for the kiddos!! 

3. She was so fun! She had the best sense of humor and could put a smile on anyone's face! Just an hour before she passed away she had me laughing and smiling as I left the building!!! 

Patty was a great woman, teacher, mentor, and friend! I can tell she blessed many lives! This week has been a very sad time at school- being in HER classroom and talking and reminiscing about her! The staff at school are wearing a purple ribbon in memory of Patty! 
Patty loved the color purple! It's a good witch color, don't ya think??? 

We had te students write down memories and thoughts for her family-- I had a couple favorites I had to share--- (I edited out the students name!) 
Translation: I am very sad that she passed away, you're probably sad too. But she made a lot of jokes and she thought she was a witch. But she was a nice witch. The best witch. She was good at her job. I wish she never passed away! 


Translation: mrs Martens loves Halloween. She was awesome. I know that we have one thing in common-we both love Halloween. She has flying monkeys. She is not afraid to use them. 

Notice the drawings on both these cute "letters"... 

I love it! I love my job! And we will all miss Patty Martens!!!


2 comments:

Hills said...

Sweet post, sad to hear. Love you Em!

Kar said...

Oh, that is so sad. Purple is a good witchey color. Heavenly Father must have needed her to do her good work up above.