Thursday, February 19, 2009

An Evening With Abraham Lincoln!

Tonight A guy in our ward Bro. Bateman and a whole commitee got together and put together this program and exhibit of awesome things! It was really neat and I enjoyed learning about Abraham Lincoln! They had a guy named Skip Crittell who is 6'4'' and 180 pounds and has a beard and voice JUST LIKE ABE! IT was kind of crazy! So I had to take pictures of him with Mary! Mary was amazed by the beard! In september there will be a huge exhibit of Lincoln at our Idaho Falls Museum- It will be the largest exhibit on the west side of the Mississippi! I am excited for it and will definitly be going to that!

How often do you get to take a picture with Abraham Lincoln?

I love this pic! Both their faces are priceless!!

There was a story posted on the exhibit that I found very interesting and adorable! Here it is:

It was the fall of 1860. Abraham Lincoln was the Republican nominee for president of the United States. Election Day was less than a month away. Mr. Lincoln, a lifelong beardless man, received a letter written by Grace Bedell, an 11-year-old girl from Westfield, New York.
Written October 15th, 1860, the letter urged him to grow a beard. Unedited, Miss Bedell's letter read:
Hon A B Lincoln...Dear Sir
My father has just home from the fair and brought home your picture and Mr. Hamlin's. I am a little girl only 11 years old, but want you should be President of the United States very much so I hope you wont think me very bold to write to such a great man as you are. Have you any little girls about as large as I am if so give them my love and tell her to write to me if you cannot answer this letter. I have got 4 brother's and part of them will vote for you any way and if you let your whiskers grow I will try and get the rest of them to vote for you you would look a great deal better for your face is so thin. All the ladies like whiskers and they would tease their husband's to vote for you and then you would be President. My father is going to vote for you and if I was a man I would vote for you to but I will try to get every one to vote for you that I can I think that rail fence around your picture makes it look very pretty I have got a little baby sister she is nine weeks old and is just as cunning as can be. When you direct your letter direct to Grace Bedell Westfield Chatauque County New York
I must not write any more answer this letter right off Good bye
Grace Bedell



The Republican presidential nominee responded on October 19th. His letter to Grace Bedell read:
Miss Grace Bedell
My dear little Miss
Your very agreeable letter of the 15th is received - I regret the necessity of saying I have no daughters - I have three sons - one seventeen, one nine, and one seven years of age - They, with their mother, constitute my whole family - As to the whiskers, having never worn any, do you not think people would call it a piece of silly affection if I were to begin it now?
Your very sincere well wisher

A. Lincoln


When Abraham Lincoln left Springfield on February 11th, 1861, bound for the White House, he was fully bearded. On February 16th the train stopped in Westfield, New York. The president-elect appeared on the train platform, and he called out for Grace. Grace was in the crowd with her two sisters, Alice and Helen. She came forth, Lincoln kissed her, and he said "I grew this beard for you".

I also learned an interesting fact- Lincoln had ELEVEN Funerals! 1 in the White House and 10 in other cities along the way to where he was buried! Can you imagine ELEVEN funerals! His wife Mary Lincoln was so devastated she didn't attend ONE funeral!

I enjoyed this program very much and can't wait til September for the museum!

7 comments:

Hills said...

Wow Emi I loved those letters! I did not know any of that! Mary looks adorable in the pic with Abe Lincoln! Love it!

Richard and Carolyn said...

That was a nice program.. you did a good job blogging it.
Mary is so adorable and I loved how she didn't get scared with him. She is so sweet!!!

Kar said...

Cute. I should have gone, but all I want to do is crash on the couch all night! I had heard the story about Grace, but it was fun to read the actual letter. I read that Lincoln was often very depressed. Poor guy probably had clinical depression, and there were no medicines for it back then. That would suck! I also read that he only had six months of formal education. He taught himself everything he knew. Smart guy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Emily! That was a cute story! I love the pictures!

Audra said...

I didn't see this post until now. That letter was so cute. We studied Abraham Lincoln in history and all his letters were written like that. Very formal sounding! I dind't know that about his beard.

The Moulton Family said...

Cool. Ya, know... Abe is my favorite president. I really respect him and have read a book about him. What a fun learning experience.

Coon Family said...

My husband wanted to name our son Abraham because of his great grandfather and for the sake of Abe Lincoln. I told him I didn't like the Abe part so much, but loved Lincoln. He was an amazing man and know our son has the potential to be just as great! Loved the letters! Wish I had a picture of my babe with Abe.